Sunday, March 1, 2009

How do you do Lord Nelson?

So for my very first overnight trip on my exchange I decided to spend a weekend in London.
The train ticket itself cost £ 37.00 return, which was alright considering that other people also going down that weekend were paying £ 57.00.

I arrived on Friday around lunch time. The hostel I was staying, Belsize hostel, is located at Belsize Park and if you don't mind a little walk to the hostel from the station, it is a pretty good hostel to stay in. The price is reasonable for a night at £ 16.00. I was really happy with the service, the receptionists were really friendly and breakfast or lunch (depending which days you stay) were included. The only one exception was that there was no hot water on the first night. It was probably due to the fact that it was pretty late at night when I got back and all the hot water was used up by then.

Anyway, on the first day and went to Portobello Road. Oh, I absolutely love that place. It has literally everything vintage and cheap there. The road reminds of the movie 'Bedknobs and Broomsticks', I was humming the song as I walked along the street. From Portobello Road, I made my way to Borough Market and London Bridge. Borough Market is alright but not as good as I expected. There are a lot of good produce but a bit pricey in my opinion. London Bridge was a disappointment. I'd mixed it up with Tower Bridge and was really upset when I realised how small and unimpressive London Bridge was. Besides that, I enjoyed a very nice dinner from M&S sitting on the wharf facing Tower Bridge.

That night, I went with Col to listen to the BBC Symphony Orchestra ( £ 5.00 student discount with really good seats facing the middle of the stage). Absolutely enjoyed it. The solo pianist, Nelson Fraire, was simply captivating when he performed. I could not move my eyes away from the white keys of the piano. Col told me the program was put together very well, each piece was chosen very nicely to succeed each other. I wasn't sure exactly what she meant but it was definitely enjoyable.

On the second day, we joined the free walking tour around London. These walking tours are worked on a tip only basis. So depending on how well the tour guide was, that's how much they earnt. Our tour guide was amazing. He told us the history, funny stories and travel tips about London. I partically liked Trafalgar Square. I guess it was because I finally felt that I was in London whilst I was staring at the statue of Lord Heratio Nelson. It was very overwhelming.

The last day I was there, I spent some time in Hyde Park. Eventhough the weather I was a bit grey and windy, I braved the weather I sat down on one of the park benches overlooking the Serpentine. It is an absolutely gorgeous view. Little kids playing and walking with their grandparents, flocks of birds flying over and above the lake, people exercising, walking their dogs or just passing through and the glistening light on the lake. If I was a painter, I would have painted it but I sat there instead absorbing everything I could see, hear and feel.

I really enjoyed London. It is definitely a must visit.

No comments: