Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Willow weaving

For one of my course I have to complete 60 hours worth of volunteering in order to complete it and achieve the award. So for that reason, I volunteered for a willow weaving challenge on Monday.

Willow weaving is a form of envio art and it's so absolutely amazing. Willow grow very readily, even just by sticking it into the ground or water, it can grow and flower. By constructing a structure and planting the willow branches and weaving it through the structure, an archway, a dome or a sculpture can be created.


Following the instructions from Lesley, who is an environment educator, we weaved willow branches through the structures that had been designed and constructed by her. We spent up to 3 hours, weaving the base of the structure. The structure still looks really empty but we were told by Lesley that the willow will soon grow buds and when summer comes around, all the branches would have been weaved through the structure and an actual tunnel will be created.



I was so excited when she described it. To think that I was making something that would stand there for many years to come made me feel so happy and thrilled. I couldn't stop smiling the whole day.

1 comment:

Zina said...

That is beautiful! I'll be leaving the states for a study abroad in London this summer. I hope you enjoy yours!